Risk Management & Legal Director
Position Job Title: Risk Management & Legal Director
FLSA Status: Salaried Exempt
The Risk Management & Legal Director supports the analysis and purchasing of the insurance needs for the Company. Position supports the General Counsel in claims management; accountable for tendering all non-litigation claims to insurance companies and supports GC in litigation claims reporting. Provides administrative and litigation and claims support, including accountability for integrity and completeness of claims and litigation files, coordination with outside counsel; helps to prepare standard forms of agreement, corporate contracts and settlement agreements all under the direction of the General Counsel and outside counsel, as needed. Provides training to Company staff on insurance, certificates of insurance, and insurance provisions of Company forms of agreement. Supports team assessments of loss prevention strategies, control programs, claims management and related insurance programs, and forms of contracts and subcontracts. Requires high level of confidentiality, customer service skills and committed “can do” attitude in fast paced, change oriented environment, and understanding of the attorney client and work product privileges. The specific title and level of this role will correlate with experience and skills.
Insurance: 45% of time
- Manages insurance renewal process, including preparation of underwriting packages under the supervision of the General Counsel
- Helps General Counsel explore structure, design and pricing of insurance programs
- Analyzes coverage needs and effectiveness of insurance funding methods for all lines of coverage, specifically including HBPP WRAP/OCIP coverage, D&O, General Liability , Course of Construction/Builders Risk, Property, Auto Liability, and Workers Compensation insurance, providing detailed written analyses and reports to senior management.
- Maintains integrity of all insurance files
- Coordinates with accounting and finance to ensure compliance with critical reporting information to insurance carriers, as required by policies, including but not limited to: builders risk values; property schedule values and other insurable values;
- Coordinates with accounting and finance to provide information for insurance carrier audits, including preparation of workers compensation and general liability audit responses
- Coordinates with Insurance Broker to ensure that an accurate periodic matrix is maintained of all insurance policies
- Coordinate with Insurance Broker to prepare annual report to key senior management of review and analysis of current policies, past policies, additional insurance and current and projected insurance recommendations
- Acts as key Company liaison with insurance companies and brokers
- Interfaces with insurance carriers regularly to provide necessary reports, audits and claim related information
- Coordinates “Cert Control” and manages relationship without Company’s outside cert vendor to ensure accurate collection and maintenance of certificates of insurance from all trade contractors and consultants, setting internal policies and practices and ensuring Company standards are met
- Help design and input insurance claim and litigation information into claim management database on a timely basis
- Under the direction of General Counsel, manages and coordinates all tenders to insurance carriers
- Help design and manage SIR recovery from trade subcontractors to offset SIR payments (including discussion of bid credit procedures) – working with accounting and finance
- Reviews subcontracts, purchase and sale agreements, joint venture documents to ensure insurance requirements set forth in such documents are appropriate and meet internal guidelines.
- Supports Operations and Purchasing in review and standardization of trade contractor scopes of work by trade, so as to reduce risks of construction defects, eliminate duplication of scopes, and reduce costs
Record Retention Practices and Project Closeouts: 15% of time
- Assist General Counsel in monitoring long range record keeping practice.
- Assist with Document Retention Training
Litigation and Claims Support: 25% of time
- Under direction of General Counsel, prepare and maintain litigation and claims files and information database and related risk management information systems, and produce periodic reports for General Counsel
- Under direction of General Counsel, prepare form contracts, settlement agreements and customer service related homeowner releases
- Assist and coordinate with outside counsel in making sure divisions are responsive in providing timely information, in particular with respect to discovery and evidentiary documentation gathering
Training: 10% of time
- Works with Insurance Broker to conduct training programs with Operations, Purchasing, Community Development and other Company personnel regarding existing insurance programs
- Coordinates training of Trade Contractors of Insurance Requirements, Certificate of Insurance requirements and Bid Credit programs, as needed
- Provides assistance to General Counsel with respect to training for HOA outreach
General Duties and Responsibilities: 5% of time
- File correspondence for Law in appropriate files, as soon as received, and at a minimum, weekly.
- Accountable for integrity of all claims and litigation files; filing of litigation documents in appropriate files (i.e. pleadings, discovery, law & motion), as soon as received, and at a minimum, weekly.
- Research, analyze, review, recommend, report and implement special projects as assigned by the General Counsel
- Bachelor’s degree required, Finance or Risk Management Preferred
- Law degree desirable but not required
- CPCU or ARM designations highly desirable
- Minimum of 7 years of corporate risk management experience; 10 years preferred. Compensation varies based on level of experience.
- Homebuilding or construction experience preferred
- Finance experience preferred
- Strong Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook skills; ability to work in accounting software
- Exceptional follow-through and initiative
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Similarly, the work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to travel in employees personal car to attend offsite meetings, and occasionally required to use airline transportation and rental vehicles.
- Lifting From 1 (lbs) to 15 (lbs)
- Repetitive Motion (i.e. Gripping)
- Low to Moderate (Corporate/Sales Office Environment)
The New Home Company retains the discretion to add or change job duties at any time.